Sunbury Line

Today, I’m visiting every station on the Sunbury Line!


First, let’s restate some base rules -

  • When I’m doing a whole line at once, I need to stay on the trains of that line where possible. So if I’m doing the Sunbury Line going from Flinders Street to North Melbourne, I have to take a Sunbury-bound train to get to North Melbourne.
  • In order to mark a station as visited, I need to be there for at least a minute, so no getting off and immediately getting back on again.

Understood? Let’s go. Planned route today is Sunbury-Footscray-Diggers Rest-Middle Footscray-Watergardens-West Footscray-Keilor Plains-Tottenham-St Albans-Sunshine-Ginifer-Albion.

Sunbury (9:26am)

And my journey begins today at Sunbury station, the terminus of the line! This station was part of the V/Line network until 2012, when it was electrified, and is still served by Bendigo and Echuca trains.


Footscray (10:13am)

Our second stop today is Footscray, as I’ve already visited North Melbourne before. Honestly, a pretty well-designed station!


Diggers Rest (11:08am)

Here now at the fairly spartan Diggers Rest station, where I have about 30 minutes to wait until my next train - joy! There is a small indoor waiting area here, but annoyingly it’s abandoned and I couldn’t get a good picture of it.


Middle Footscray (12:08pm)

Now I’m at Middle Footscray station, another pretty unimpressive station — but at least it has better frequency than Diggers Rest.


Watergardens (12:39pm)

Here at the other terminus of the Sunbury Line, Watergardens. A pretty nice (and busy!) station, if you ask me, though the station amenities leave a bit to be desired.

West Footscray (1:06pm)

The last of the Footscrays, and honestly this might be my favourite station so far. Very clean, well-sheltered, and I love the distinctive green of the overpass. This station also has three platforms, but one appears to be disused at the moment, and has no number assigned.


Keilor Plains (1:36pm)

Here now at Keilor Plains, a pretty serviceable station. Not much to add so I’ll take you straight to the photos!


Tottenham (2:06pm)

Now at Tottenham station, which is a fairly simple small station but honestly functional enough — good shading, passenger information displays and ample seating. Also right opposite what appears to be a freight yard.


St Albans (2:31pm)

St Albans is one of two (I believe) trenched stations on the Sunbury line, and while I’m a much bigger fan of Skyrail, they haven’t done a bad job here. Didn’t take as many photos as I would have liked to as the train to Sunshine came in only a couple of minutes after I got to St Albans.

Sunshine (2:40pm)

At Sunshine station now. Unfortunately, an attempt I made at a quick cross-platform interchange failed, and so I’m stuck here for about 20 minutes longer than I bargained for. But this is still a pretty nice station — usually a regional interchange, but today happened to be the day where both the Geelong and Ballarat lines got bustituted.


Ginifer (3:09pm)

In the home stretch now at Ginifer, our second trenched station of the day!


Albion (3:20pm)

Our final station today is Albion, a fairly small thing with narrow platforms but good seating and shelter. It’s also the junction for the standard-gauge Albion-Jacana freight line, used by Albury V/Line trains.

And with that, I have ridden every station on the Sunbury line. Thank you, my dear reader, for following along with me today, and happy travels. :)



Comments

  1. Ahh, Footscray Station. The most recent upgrade and reallocation of platforms was very well done. I do find that the timetabling hasn’t adapted to make it a really useful interchange. Also a little less sweeter after the closure of the Olympic doughnut van 🥲

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sandringham Line

Stony Point Line